Conservative candidate Katy Bourne has today set out her vision for prioritising the fight against violence against women and girls. Based on the three strands of education, protection and provision of services, Katy’s commitments include:
- Taskforce for joined-up approach based on best practice: From educating our children to raise awareness, to treating victims in the best way, to punishing offenders and protecting victims, we need to make sure our approach is joined up and based on best practice across the board. So I will establish a taskforce to bring together schools, health services, the prosecution service and the police, to look at treatment of VAWG.
- Education in rehabilitation: For the people that are convicted of domestic abuse, we need to ensure that they are not only punished, but go through rehabilitation so that they understand the impact of domestic abuse and do not fall into a cycle of re-offending. I will work with Government and neighbouring police forces to make sure that we are running the most effective, efficient rehabilitation programmes.
- Domestic violence disclosure scheme: The Government is piloting a domestic violence disclosure scheme, so that the police share more information about domestic violence offenders. I will work with the police authorities that are running these to monitor how these pilots develop.
- Domestic violence protection orders: The Government is piloting a scheme to give victims temporary protection of up to 28 days in the aftermath of an attack. I will work with Government and police authorities to see how this pilot progresses.
- Audit of service provision: The Government is making funding available for local authorities to identify gaps in their service provision for VAWG. I will conduct an audit into our service provision, to ensure that we are providing a complete, comprehensive service.
“As Police and Crime Commissioner for Sussex, I will prioritise violence against women and girls. We need to educate everyone about this issue, we need to protect vulnerable women and girls, and we need to provide the services that victims need. Educate, protect, provide. This is my pledge.”
Conservative candidate Katy Bourne has today
Conservative candidate Katy Bourne has today set out her vision for